City releases Spes beneficiaries’ salaries

-A A +A

Saturday, May 31, 2014

CITY Social Welfare and Development Officer Socorro Roxas announced that the first batch of students employed through the Special Program for the Employment of Students (Spes) this year may start claiming their salaries.

Roxas made the announcement citing the City Government has start releasing on Thursday the salaries of the SPES beneficiaries.

Roxas advised the beneficiaries to first secure a certification from her office before proceeding to the City Treasurer’s Office to claim their salaries.


Roxas said the first batch of Spes beneficiaries comprises of 1,318 college students who worked from April 10 to May 8.

The second batch of beneficiaries comprising of 1,271 high school students started working in May 9.

Each of them received a daily salary of P280 or for a total of P5,600 for the 20 days work.

They helped in the barangay cleanliness and beautification program, updating of barangay profile/census, simple clerical jobs in local government offices, janitorial activities, carpentry works, and other non-hazardous activities for students.

Spes is jointly implemented by the local government units and the Department of Labor and Employment (Dole) aimed to help the children of poor families earn money during summer vacation for their studies

The local government shouldered 60 percent of each of the Spes beneficiaries’ salary while the remaining 40 percent of the salary by Dole.

The City Government has set aside P9 million while Dole allocated P7 million for this year’s Spes in the region.

Local news

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!