First batch of SPES starts

-A A +A

Friday, April 11, 2014

THE first batch of beneficiaries for this year’s Special Program for the Employment of Students (SPES) has started working Thursday.

The first batch of beneficiaries, which comprises of 1,138 college students, reported for work a day after they have undergone a half-day orientation spearheaded by Mayor Ma. Isabelle Climaco-Salazar.

Some of the students were assigned in the villages to undertake beautification and greening projects while the others in local government offices.


Public Employment and Service Officer-in-Charge Evelyn Las Marias said they will work for 20 days starting Thursday, April 10.

Las Marias said that each of the students will receive a daily salary of P280 or P5,600 for the duration of 20 days.

The local government will pay 60 percent of the student-beneficiaries’ salary while the remaining 40 percent will be paid by the Department of Labor and Employment (Dole).

Salazar said the City Government has allocated P9 million for the SPES and will hire a total of 2,471 students--high school and college.

The second batch of beneficiaries comprising of 1,271 high school students will work from May 10-June 4.

The implementation of the SPES is in compliance with Republic Act 9547, an act strengthening and expanding the coverage of the Special Program for Employment of Students, amending for the purpose provisions of R.A. 7323, otherwise known as the Special Program for Employment of Students.

Local news

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!
  • Festivals
  • Obituary
  • Sinulog
  • Filipino Abroad
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • Papal Visit
  • Pacman blog
  • Philippine Polls
  • Calamity Report
  • ePaper
  • goodearth
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • Technology
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • Pnoy
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Habemus Papam