Scholarships up for OFW dependents

-A A +A

Saturday, March 29, 2014

OVERSEAS Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) Regional Director Hassan Gabra Jumdain is calling incoming senior high school students who are dependent of Overseas Filipino Workers (OFW) to apply for scholarship program of the agency.

Jumdain said they are already accepting applications for Education for Development Scholarship Program (EDSP) for academic year 2015-2016.

The EDSP, which is an OWWA welfare program that started in 2004 through scholarship grants, entitles the qualified OFW dependents to take any four or five years baccalaureate course in any Commission on Higher Education (CHED)-accredited college or university in the region at a maximum amount of P60,000 per school year of at P30,000 each semester.


Jumdain said they start accepting applications for EDSP as early as this month to allow more time for incoming graduates to enlist in the program.

Meanwhile, Jumdain said that the Congressional Migrants Workers Scholarship Program (CMWSP) is also open to interested applicants to submit their application papers.

He said the CMWSP is for those who desire to pursue science and technology-related degrees as identified by the Department of Science and Technology (DOST).

The qualifications are as follows: the applicants should be children of OWWA member or brother/sister of unmarried OWWA member; must be below 21 years old; Filipino citizen; and, must have not earned units in any post-secondary or undergraduate course.

Jumdain said that interested applicants must bring the following documentary requirements to the OWWA Regional Office for processing: Two sets of accomplished Application Form (available at OWWA Office or download from, health certificate (Form A), certificate of good moral character (Form B); Certification that the applicant belongs to the upper 20 percent of the graduating class (Form C), applicant’s certification (Form D), parent’s certification that the applicant has no pending application for resident immigrant status or dual citizenship (Form E); two copies of two-by-two ID pictures; proof of relationship to OWWA member (birth certificate of applicant or birth certificate of both the single OFW and the applicant-dependent and certificate of no marriage duly certified by the Local Civil Registrar or Philippine Statistics Authority, if OFW is single); and, proof of OWWA Membership (Official Receipt of OWWA Contribution/Certification from OWWA Membership Registry Division) and Form 137/High School Report Card.

He said interested applicants may visit the OWWA Regional Office at 3rd Floor of Goodwill Center along Mayor Jaldon Street, Canelar village, this city.

He said they may also call through telephone numbers (062)991-2785 and (062)955-2651 for more information of the two scholarship programs. – Bong Garcia

Local news

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!
  • Festivals
  • Obituary
  • Sinulog
  • Filipino Abroad
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • Papal Visit
  • Pacman blog
  • Philippine Polls
  • Calamity Report
  • ePaper
  • goodearth
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • Technology
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • Pnoy
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Habemus Papam