2 kidnap-for-ransom men face additional raps-A A +A
By Bong Garcia
Thursday, March 13, 2014
A SEPARATE criminal case has been filed against the two suspected members of a kidnap-for-ransom-group who were recently arrested in the province of Zamboanga Sibugay, the police said Thursday.
Facing charges before the Court in Ipil, Zamboanga Sibugay for violation of Republic Act 10591 otherwise known as the Comprehensive Firearms and Ammunition and Regulation Act, are Hajer Dunggan Mohammad and Alvin Prontoso, who are suspected members of a group led by Mamay Aburi.
Mohammad and Prontoso were arrested in a raid last week at a suspected safe house of Aburi in the village of Tenan, Ipil, the capital town of Zamboanga Sibugay.
The raid was carried out after it was detected that the group was consolidating its members allegedly in preparation to stage another kidnapping in Pagadian City, the capital of Zamboanga del Sur.
Zamboanga Peninsula police information officer Chief Inspector Ariel Huesca said the case against the two stemmed from the confiscation of two fragmentation grenades, an M-14 rifle, an M-16 Armalite rifle and a Garand rifle, several ammunition, a detonating cord, and three motorized bancas.
Huesca said that Mohammad and Prontoso has standing warrants of arrest crime of frustrated murder and illegal possession firearms and explosives aside from the latest case that was filed against them.
Mohammad and Prontoso were subsequently committed to Ipil District Jail as per commitment order issued by the Court dated March 11, 2014 for proper disposition and during pendency of the case, Huesca said.