Acting guv wants total ban on ‘sirandomeng’ supplier-A A +A
Monday, August 4, 2014
CITY OF SAN FERNANDO -- Acting Governor Dennis "Delta" Pineda asked the provincial bids and awards committee (PBAC) on Monday to totally ban the supplier of 570 sacks of spoiled rice, which he brought to Tacloban City at the height of super typhoon Yolanda last year.
The acting governor expressed dismay over the recent decision of the PBAC who recommended that DD’s supermarket, the alleged supplier of spoiled rice be banned only as supplier of rice but not for other goods and commodities.
This came as the acting governor led the regular meeting of the department heads of the Provincial Government at the Capitol's Executive House Monday where some members of the PBAC were also present.
It was learned that the PBAC, through a majority decision passed a resolution recommending to the office of the governor to put in the blacklist order for DD’s Supermarket in Apalit town "only on rice supply."
With this, he asked the PBAC to conduct an immediate review of their recommendation to the office of the governor and put DD's Supermarket in the blacklist order in the same manner that no transaction should be made with the said supplier by the Provincial Government.
"If the said supplier betrayed us on our expectation on the quality of rice supply, then, they could also do that in other supply of goods and commodities that maybe needed in times of calamity," the acting governor said.
He noted that as elected leaders, they owe it to Kapampangans and other victims of calamities in other regions not to betray their trust and they are serving them to the fullest and with sincerity.
He recalled that the provincial board passed a resolution to the PBAC asking them to totally blacklist the supplier of spoiled rice and no transaction should be made by the Provincial Government with the latter.
"Hindi lang naman siya ang supplier sa probinsiya. Marami naman diyan ang mga supplier na tutupad sa ating mga requirements," Pineda said.
"I want to know your immediate decision tomorrow (Tuesday) on this matter," the acting governor told the PBAC members who were present during the department heads meeting.
It can be recalled that sometime in November 2013, the team led then by the acting governor carried to Tacloban City some 570 cavans of Rosebrand Sinandomeng” rice, bought by the Pampanga provincial government from DD’s Supermarket in Apalit town for some P2.5 million, or P1,650 per 50 kilogram sack, but were sent back to this province after it was found that the rice was spoiled and unfit for human consumption.
Reports said Pineda’s team had to buy rice from other parts of Leyte province that it distributed to typhoon victims in Tacloban just “to save the face” of the Pampanga government.
The said supplier said they were forced to outsource the rice from a rice dealer in the City of San Fernando, as they had no supply at the time and there was an immediate need to supply the 570 sacks to the Pampanga relief team.
One of the owners said their mistake was they did not check the rice stocks they bought from the dealer in San Fernando because they were in a hurry to load these on the relief trucks.
With this, members of the provincial board said they would seek a ban on DD’s Supermarket from further transacting with the provincial government because of the spoiled rice shipment.
Published in the Sun.Star Pampanga newspaper on August 05, 2014.