‘Glenda’ spares Pampanga-A A +A
Wednesday, July 16, 2014
CITY OF SAN FERNANDO -- Pampanga officials heaved Wednesday a sigh of relief after Typhoon Glenda just "sideswiped" the province, with zero reported flooding and no major damages to infrastructure and agriculture as well as nil casualties.
Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office executive Director Angie Blanco disclosed that in their initial assessment, no areas in the two cities and 19 municipalities were flooded as of a 12 p.m. report.
"We have zero flooding in all towns. In our initial assessment, there was also no major damage to our infra and agriculture. We also have not received any report of casualties," she said, adding that as early as 4 a.m., officials including Governor Lilia Pineda and Vice Governor Dennis Pineda had been doing rounds of the province, including critical coastal areas in Masantol, Macabebe, Lubao and Sasmuan.
Blanco told Sun.Star Pampanga that about 52 families from Arayat were evacuated (pre-emptive) to the national park clubhouse and have been provided with relief goods by the Provincial Social Welfare and Development Office headed by Elizabeth Baybayan.
Another 15 families or 105 individuals, also voluntarily evacuated to the Central School in Sta. Cruz, Lubao.
“We are still on alert and will do further assessment in the coming days. But it was good to note that our local officials are following disaster protocol. Our mitigation infrastructure like our tail dike also worked.
Every measure and contingency is still in place to ensure the safety of our kabalens,” Blanco said. (JTD)
Published in the Sun.Star Pampanga newspaper on July 17, 2014.