AFP submits Cudia probe results-A A +A
Tuesday, April 1, 2014
CITY OF SAN FERNANDO -- Results of the investigation conducted by Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) Chief of Staff Emmanuel Bautista on the case of dismissed Philippine Military Academy (PMA) Cadet Aldrin Jeff Cudia is already with President Benigno Aquino III.
According to Presidential Communications Operations Office Secretary Herminio Coloma, Jr., the President has already received the recommendation of the AFP chief regarding the case of Cudia.
"Ayon sa Department of National Defense, naisumite na nila sa Tanggapan ng Pangulo ang ulat at rekomendasyon ni AFP Chief of Staff General Emmanuel Bautista hinggil sa usapin ni Cadet Cudia. Antabayanan po natin ang pag-aaral sa ulat na ito at ang paggawad ng pasya ng ating Pangulo," said Coloma.
He added: "Now that the results of the reinvestigation on Cudia's case is in the hands of President Aquino, let's wait for the proper announcement of the Office of the President."
It can be recalled that a day before the graduation rites of Siklab Diwa 2014 when Aquino met Cudia and his family at The Mansion.
Cudia agreed not to join the graduation rites and to file another formal request to the AFP chief to look into case after having a conversation with the President.
Meanwhile, two more House members on Monday joined calls for the PMA to release the diploma and school records of Cudia so he can start a new life.
Ako Bicol Party-list Representative Rodel Batocabe said during a press conference that Cudia has satisfied all the academic requirements and he hopes that the military hierarchy, especially the PMA would stop "making it hard for him to start anew."
Batocabe said that once Congress resumes session in May, he will file a resolution seeking to mandate the cadet corps of the either the PMA or even in the Philippine National Police Academy (PNPA) to release all school records of a dismissed cadet so they can use these to look for a job or pursue further studies.
"Aking ipinapanukala kung hindi po matatanggap ng PMA bilang alumnus o alumni ang mga nagtapos na ini-expel nila na nakatapos na ng academic requirements, pinakamaganda po dito ay bigyan na lang po ng diploma, bigyan na lang po ng certification of completion ng academic requirements at kahit hindi nila ikomisyon para ito namang mga tao ay magkaroon na ng panibagong buhay," Batocabe said after meeting Cudia and his parents on Monday morning.
President Aquino earlier ordered the reinvestigation of Cudia's case but the former cadet said he no longer plans to pursue a military career.
Cudia was dismissed from the military academy for allegedly lying on his tardiness, a violation of the PMA Honor Code.
Cudia's parents, Renato and Filipina, earlier filed a petition asking the Supreme Court to order the PMA to release their son's diploma and restore him to the list of graduates.
Paranaque Representative Gus Tambunting, who also met with Cudia and his parents Monday, said he was shown the petition before the high court and the cadet's records.
"I told his parents that I feel for them as I am a parent, too. I advised him to pray and move on," Tambunting said.
Last week, Muntinlupa City Representative Rodolfo Biazon, a former PMA superintendent, said Cudia should be given his diploma despite being dismissed in the institution so that he can start a new life.
The former senator and Chief-of-Staff of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) said that though the decision of the Honor Committee of the cadet corps should be respected and upheld despite several criticisms from external forces outside the academy, Cudia should be allowed to get his diploma as part of a humanitarian consideration.
"I would agree to him to get his diploma so that he can start anew but I would advise that he should not anymore stay… Give him the diploma yes, plus his transcript of record so that he can start anew in the civilian life ok?" Biazon said. (With John Carlo Cahinhinan/Sunnex)
Published in the Sun.Star Pampanga newspaper on April 02, 2014.