PNP: Crime falls 20% in Metro Manila in August-A A +A
Friday, September 5, 2014
PHILIPPINE National Police (PNP) figures showed a nearly 20 percent fall in crime for August, particularly in Metro Manila.
National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) chief Carmelo Valmoria said from August 11 to 17, 757 cases of theft and robbery were recorded in the Metro, and it continue to fall to 692 cases in August 18 to 24 to 605 in the last week of the said month.
He said killing incidents also decreased from 38 cases on August 11 to 17 to 32 during the last week of August.
Earlier, Valmoria said the NCRPO officials are currently being "hardly pushed" to comply and cascade the stricter orders to wage a more vigorous anti-criminality campaign in the region as a response to the order of PNP chief Alan Purisima to double their effort against crimes in the wake of increasing criminality in the country.
They were also instructed by Interior and Local Government Secretary Manuel Roxas II to provide a weekly report of crime statistics to easily identify if the crime prevention campaign is being effectively implemented by the PNP.
Meanwhile, several anti-crime groups rebuke the claim of the PNP on the decreasing criminality citing series of killings and kidnapping incidents in Metro Manila.
Within the month of August, several crimes occurred such as the snatching of a bag of a payment center employee in Makati, the 11-month-old girl who was allegedly raped and killed in San Juan and the woman who jumped from a vehicle after allegedly being kidnapped and almost raped by a suspect in Mandaluyong City.
Volunteers Against Crime and Corruption (VACC) said they are not convinced with the report of the PNP.
"How can you say now na bumababa ang crime when the truth is hindi nararamdaman ng mga kababayan natin na they are not safe even inside they houses," Dante Jimenez, chairman of the VACC, said.
Movement for the Restoration of Peace and Order also raised the increasing kidnap-for-ransom cases.
Architect Ken Chua, chairman of the group and a kidnap victim himself back in 2008, said kidnap cases now are "very alarming."
From 31 cases of kidnap-for-ransom incident in 2013 it increased to 38, only during the first half of this year.
"One of the possibility is it's already ber months and the other maybe the peace and order is really humina konti," he said.
Chua said they have monitored the forming of several new kidnap-for-ransom groups, which involves AWOL or ex-policemen and former military personnel.
He suggested to the government to provide a bigger budget to the anti-kidnapping group.
PNP chief of the Public Information Office, Reuben Theodore Sindac said although the PNP have stepped-up in the anti-criminality campaign, "much works still needs to be done."
He said the police forces was augmented as the PNP hired 7,000 new policemen but it was just the half of the manpower needed to improve police visibility on the streets.
Secretary Roxas said they are looking at the possibility of forming linkages between the PNP and the civic organizations such as Kabalikat, Barangay Patrol, Liga ng mga Barangay and other civic action team and civic communication groups to "much effectively" implement the anti-criminality campaign.
"Ginagawa na ng ating civil society, mga civic groups at action team ang ganitong pagtulong sa mga kababayan natin kapag panahon ng Mahal na Araw dahil panahon ito ng ating mga kababayan na bumiyahe at mag-uwian sa mga probinsiya. Kung magustuhan nila, baka puwede natin silang i-accredit at bigyan ng guidelines para makatulong sa ating police visibility bilang isang paraan ng pagpigil sa krimen," Roxas said.
"Habang ginagawa ng kapulisan ang trabaho nila, we need to keep an eye on each other. Kailangan natin magtulungan para alagaan natin ang isa't isa," he added. (Sunnex)