Barangay official tagged in Sulu ambush-A A +A
Wednesday, July 30, 2014
A SULU barangay official has been tagged as one of the suspects in the ambush, which claimed 23 lives since Monday, a government official said.
In a joint statement, Sulu Governor Abdusakur Tan II and his father Vice Governor Abusakur Tan said they have identified a barangay leader who allegedly has been working with the rebel group Abu Sayyaf, the alleged suspects of the Sulu ambush.
The government officials refused to name the said barangay official who is allegedly involved in the ambush, which killed 23 civilians, including an 85 years old woman and a two-year-old child and injuring 11 others.
The tans said the said barangay official, which is now included in the investigation particularly its role in the incident, has been receiving support from the Abu Sayyaf Group and vice versa.
The victims were reportedly killed while on board two vans while travelling in a coastal village in Talipao town, Sulu.
Of the over 50 suspects, the military earlier identified two Abu Sayyaf leaders involved in the crime, Indang Susukan and Sibih Pisih.
The authorities have launched a manhunt operation to arrest the suspects.
Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) Public Affairs chief Ramon Zagala said although the military as well as the members of the Philippine National Police (PNP) had been conducting operations in Sulu, keeping the peace and order in the region is still a work in progress. (Sunnex)