PNP probes Cavite shootout-A A +A
Wednesday, May 28, 2014
MEMBERS of the Philippine National Police (PNP) who had an encounter against alleged members of a robbery group in Cavite on Tuesday must present enough evidence to ensure the “validity of their actions,” a police official said Wednesday.
In a media briefing, PNP spokesperson Chief Superintendent Reuben Theodore Sindac said PNP-Calabarzon has started investigating if “something anomalous” occurred in Tuesday's shootout incident.
“'Yung mga nag-aakusa na rubout ito, they should present their evidence in a proper forum to the proper judicial or investigative agency. We will welcome any investigation,” he said.
“Wala pa namang nakikitang violation, given the facts that have been presented, and everything seems to be in order,” Sindac added.
Nine alleged members of a robbery group were killed by the police in Cavite City after they refused to submit themselves in a checkpoint.
The police said they immediately established the checkpoint after receiving a message from a tipster that the nine men on board four motorcycles were on their way to robbing a hardware store in Barangay Litlit in Silang town.
Among the nine, eight were killed on the spot while the other one managed to escape.
Last year, the PNP drew criticisms when a group of policemen and soldiers led by then Calabarzon police deputy intelligence chief Senior Superintendent Hansel Marantan hacked 13 people to death in Atimonan, Quezon.
Marantan said there was an exchange of gunfire between authorities and the group of suspected jueteng lord Vic Siman but the National Bureau of Investigation concluded that it was a rubout, prompting the victims' relatives to file multiple murder cases in a Quezon court. (Third Anne Peralta/Sunnex)