Drilon urges public to guard 2015 budget vs PDAF revival-A A +A
Wednesday, May 14, 2014
SENATE President Franklin Drilon challenged the public to closely monitor the Congress when it enacts the 2015 national budget to see to it that the pork barrel system will not be revived.
Drilon assured that the 2015 national budget would be free of pork barrel funds, as he vowed to take away immediately any item that would bear a resemblance to the Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF).
The Senate leader said the chamber had decided to abolish the PDAF even before the Supreme Court declared it unconstitutional late last year.
Drilon urged the public to take advantage of this atmosphere of transparency implemented by the President Benigno Aquino III to look at the budget and make sure that the pork barrel fund will not be included in the 2015 national budget.
He said that the Senate heard the public clamor then to abolish the pork barrel – the root cause of all these scams.
"And from that time on, we have made a promise that we would never stop listening to our people," he added.
Drilon said the public has the power and prerogative to examine the budget and that the doors of the Senate are open to the public who want to scrutinize how the Senate deliberates on the budget.
He said that the Senate, with many of its members now dragged into the pork barrel controversy, will have to continue the reforms committed to since the issue first broke out last year.
"Upon my leadership, our very first step had been the abolition of the Senate's PDAF, which has been the root of this controversy," the Senate President said.
"Bantayan po natin, sa paguusap namin sa 2015 budget dapat po tingnan ng taumbayan, lalo na ng kabataan, para masiguro natin na walang PDAF na maiisisingit," he added. (Camille P Balagtas/Sunnex)