No dip seen in Middle East deployment despite Mers-Cov-A A +A
Sunday, April 20, 2014
LOCAL recruiters are not expecting a decline in the number of Filipinos looking for work in the Middle East region despite reported deaths from the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome-Coronavirus (Mers-Cov), a recruitment analyst said Sunday.
“The isolated cases of Mers-Cov will not discourage Filipinos from seeking work abroad as the need to earn income is far greater than their fear of the disease,” said Emmanuel Geslani.
The recruitment expert also believes that overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) are more confident in getting treatment in foreign medical facilities in case they acquire the virus.
“The hospital facilities in the Middle East are highly advanced and manned by competent medical personnel, including fellow Filipinos,” he said.
For her part, Department of Labor and Employment (Dole) Secretary Rosalinda Baldoz said they are not yet imposing deployment ban in Middle East countries despite the growing number of Mers-Cov cases involving OFWs.
This is because there is no such recommendation from the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA).
“There is no ban on deployment of OFWs due to the Mers-Cov,” said Baldoz.
The labor chief said that for the moment, Dole officials are concerned with finding if there are other OFWs afflicted with the virus.
Geslani said local recruiters must assist Dole by closely coordinating with their foreign counterparts in monitoring possible cases of Mers-Cov involving OFWs.
There are at least eight OFWs that have already been found positive of the Mers-Cov, including two deaths in Saudi Arabia in August 29 last year and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) on April 10.
Five other OFWs were able to recover in the UAE while the last one eventually became the first case in the Philippines after he came home on April 15 and is now cleared of the virus. (HDT/Sunnex)