Guv lauds SC for upholding ban on ‘hulbot’ fishing-A A +A
Wednesday, July 30, 2014
ILOILO Governor Arthur Defensor Sr. lauded Wednesday the Supreme Court (SC) for upholding the ban on using Danish seine or “hulbot-hulbot” fishing in the Philippine waters.
Defensor, who proposed the ban, said the decision of the High Tribunal strengthens their campaign against the destructive fishing gear, especially in northern Iloilo where illegal fishing remains a concern.
The SC resolution dated July 7 imposed a temporary restraining order against the order issued by Malabon Regional Trial Court Branch 170 Judge Zaldy B. Docena on April 14 prohibiting the implementation of the ban contained in Fisheries Administrative Order No. 246.
The stoppage of the ban was earlier sought by Malabon-Navotas Hulbot-Hulbot Fisherfolks Association Inc., but the SC’s resolution issued by Senior Associate Justice Antonio T. Carpio stated that the decision of Docena “is founded on grave abuse of discretion.”
The governor has ordered the Iloilo Provincial Bantay Dagat Task Force chaired by Provincial Administrator Raul Banias to step up their operation against hulbot-hulbot following the deevlopment.
Last week, Senior Police Officer 1 Gilbert Piedad, operation’s chief of Iloilo Provincial Bantay Dagat Task Force, said they apprehended 51 fishermen using hulbot-hulbot in the municipalities of Ajuy and Carles. Read the related story here.
Danish seine is a fishing gear which consists of conical net with two long wings that form a bag where the fish are collected. The ends of the net are connected to a rope embedded with buri, plastic strips or other sinkers that is hauled by mechanical winch or by manpower.
The use of Danish seine in fishing is declared unlawful because it contributes to the destruction of marine habitats and other fishery resources as stated in section 92 of Republic Act 8550 or the Fisheries Code of the Philippines. (PIO)