TOR assures no privatization of city market-A A +A
Wednesday, July 23, 2014
THE newly drafted Term of Reference (TOR) governing the redevelopment and revitalization of Iloilo City’s Central Market through a joint venture agreement assures no privatization provision for the ground floor area of the place.
City mayor Jed Patrick Mabilog said that hopefully, the TOR as a vital document to serve as guide in the market redevelopment and revitalization, will put a stop to privatization talks as no privatization will happen in the central market.
So far, the city has not yet selected the joint venture partner and the table is open for the application of individuals or corporations to bid in the market revitalization project, Mabilog said.
A copy of the TOR was given to the vendors last Monday, July 21, 2014 after they have asked a copy in order to study the terms in the market redevelopment and guide them to express their rights and privileges as legitimate stallholders and vendors.
The vendors are allowed until Friday, July 25, to study and insert their other demands in the TOR and the City Council will hopefully, include the TOR approval in their agenda for the next regular session.
Mabilog assured the vendors and stallholders of a status quo situation at the central market and said the legitimate vendors will still occupy their space at the ground floor with no additional rent once rehabilitation and reconstruction is completed by the year 2017.
There is no definite timetable for the start of construction but it was estimated the construction works will be for 28 months.
A temporary market is being planned outside the market peripheral along the streets of Aldeguer, Guanco, Ma. Clara and Rizal Ibarra where vendors and stallholders will only have to pay arkabala or cash tickets and not the monthly fixed rental.