Senator: Huge rise in deaths in Zambo evacuation centers ‘alarming’-A A +A
Wednesday, June 25, 2014
SENATOR Nancy Binay expressed grave concern over the rising number of deaths reported inside evacuation centers in Zamboanga City, where many residents still live after being displaced in last year's siege.
"Patuloy po akong nababahala sa mga natatanggap naming reports tungkol sa mga bata at matatandang nagkakasakit at namamatay sa loob ng mga kampo," Binay said.
Health officials said that 138 evacuees have died since September 2013.
"Mula sa 88 noong Pebrero ay nadagdagan pa ng 50 ang namatay sa mga evacuation camps. Nakakalungkot po ito na mayroon pa ring mga namamatay," she added.
Among the latest fatalities are two children in Joaquin F. Enriquez Memorial Sports Complex (JFEMSC) and an elderly in a bunkhouse, health officials said.
Around 120,000 internally displaced persons had been affected by the siege done by the Nur Misuari faction of the Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF). They were housed in the sports complex and other evacuation centers around the city.
At least 2,000 families remain in the sports complex while around 500 families are staying in tents in Cawa-cawa.
Meanwhile, Binay called on government authorities to intensify their monitoring and response efforts, especially in disease prevention to curb the death toll.
"May mga balita pa rin po na maraming kaso ng pulmunya at gastroenteritis sa mga kampo," Binay said.
"Patuloy po akong nanawagan sa mga kinauukulan, lalo na sa DOH at DSWD, na paigtingin pa lalo ang monitoring at pagtugon sa mga kaso ng pagkakasakit," she added.
Binay had earlier filed Senate Resolution 566, which seeks to inquire on the status of children in evacuation centers in Zamboanga City. The resolution has been referred to the committee on health and demography. (Camille P. Balagtas/Sunnex)