Iloilo ports rehab underway-A A +A
Thursday, June 19, 2014
THE renovation of three major ports in Northern Iloilo, which were destroyed last year due to Typhoon Yolanda (Haiyan), is now underway, said Governor Arthur Defensor Sr.
The Korea International Cooperation Agency (Koica) will be sending another team of experts to inspect and validate the needs proposed for the ports of Concepcion, Carles and Estancia two weeks from now, he said.
“As I understand it, the team will be here soon to look at the infrastructure and facilities that the ports direly need. After their assessment, an agreement will be forged between us,” Defensor said in a press conference Thursday.
He added that once the province accomplished all the administrative requirements for the US$10 million (P438,800,000) port development, they expect the construction work to commence by October this year.
“Just like us, Koica is also in a hurry to implement the project. That is the reason why we are doing our best to hasten everything,” he said.
Koica Senior Deputy Resident Representative Youngram Kim said they earmarked US$20 million (P877,700,000) humanitarian aid to help Philippines recover from the devastation brought by the storm.
Of the total fund, half will be spent to revitalize the fishing industry of Iloilo through the project Northern Iloilo Comprehensive Fishery Rehabilitation and Development.
Koica’s experts led by Deputy Resident Representative Seo Dong Sung recently discuss and identify the other documents needed to supplement the province’s proposal.
Based on their discussion, the project will cover reconstruction of the ports landing quays and causeways and berthing and servicing piers.
The project will also involve concrete revetment, trading halls, = refrigeration facilities and plug-in, improvement of the administration buildings, and livelihood through mariculture (seabass, snapper and grouper), aqua-silviculture (culture of crabs, shrimps in mangrove areas), seaweeds farming, development of fishery products, and shell crafts. (PIO)