Guv eyes permanent task force vs overloading-A A +A
Thursday, February 27, 2014
ILOILO – Governor Arthur Defensor Sr. is looking at the possibility of installing a permanent task force to ensure the continuous implementation of the province’s anti-overloading law.
The governor came up with the idea after the moratorium order of DPWH Secretary Rogelio Singson’s on the implementation of the revised anti-overloading law (Republic Act 8794) expired on January 31, 2014.
He said the idea will be coordinated with the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) and the Department of Transportation and Communications (DOTC).
The need for a permanent task force and its budget requirements will be studied by a committee which will be formed by the governor.
Defensor said that a non-stop campaign against overloading must be given attention to protect the province’s roadways from damage.
Millions of pesos are being spent to repair and maintain both the national and provincial roads, he said.
Despite the freeze last year, DPWH made it clear that the axle load limit of 13,500 kilograms will still be enforced.
Iloilo has 655.63 kilometers of provincial road networks and DPWH estimates that one million per kilometer is needed to rehabilitate or repaved it once it is ruined.
In Iloilo, if haulers were caught overloading they were made to pay P3,000 for the first offense, P4,000 for the second offense, and P5,000 for the third and succeeding offenses.
The driver’s license and the truck’s plate number are also seized and turned over to the Land and Transportation Office-Western Visayas (LTO-6). Only the military trucks, fire trucks and ambulances are exempted from the law. (PIO)