Gas leak probers face blank wall-A A +A
Friday, January 24, 2014
INVESTIGATORS found no concrete evidence on the suspected gas leak air that poisoned 192 students and teachers who attended the annual religious convocation last January 22.
A joint investigation panel was created, composed of the Environment Management Bureau (EMB) of the DENR-Western Visayas, City Environment and Natural Resources Office (Cenro), Iloilo City Health Office, Bureau of Fire Prevention-Western Visayas, and Central Philippine University (CPU) administration.
The initial investigation at the Rose Memorial Auditorium of CPU showed that there is no evidence of toxic substance in the area, or evidence of damages on the air conditioning units and electrical wires.
The investigation also showed that the air conditioning units could not be the source of toxic air as R22 freon or refrigerant of aircon units is a non-toxic substance.
The students and teachers were hospitalized after complaining of strict breathing. After initial treatment, some were immediately sent home while few remained at the hospital for further treatment.
The joint team and school administration will conduct further tests to determine the exact cause of air poisoning. (Lydia C. Pendon)