Footfest gets boot-A A +A
Monday, August 25, 2014
CLOSE to 60 teams failed to compete as men's open, women's open and youth 14 girls games of the 2014 DFA Football Festival were cancelled Sunday due to lack of event permit.
Organizers failed to get an event permit at Davao City's Business Bureau for the bootfest set at Tionko field.
Teams coming from Kabacan and Pantukan also came but played friendly matches instead as the second day of the two-day tournament was already called off.
DFA technical director Albert Ryan Lim, also Philippine Football Federation (PFF) grassroots officer for Mindanao, said they had apologized to the owners, managers and coaches of participating teams for the oversight.
Lim said Business Bureau officer-in-charge lawyer Lawrence D. Bantiding talked to him about the matter citing that the law on seeking event permits took effect since 2005.
"Nakaligtaan namo. For the longest time man gud wala man mi gakuha ug permit para sa mga dula. Pero gipasabot man sa amoa ni Atty. Lawrence
nga dunay daghang benepisyo kung magkuha mi ug permit - matagaan mi ug police visibility, 911 staff ambulance and TMC personnel para mag control sa traffic para lang pud dunay seguridad sa area (We overlooked it. We haven't been getting permits whenever we hold tournaments. But Atty. Bantiding explained to us the many benefits of having an event permit as police visibility, 911 staff and ambulance and Traffic Management Center personnel to control traffic will be provided for us)," Lim said in a phone interview with Sun.Star Davao on Monday afternoon.
The permit, according to Lim, only costs P150.
He added that the bootfest must have attracted attention from authorities since the first day of the festival ended around 9:30 p.m. last Saturday.
Lim went on saying, "Pirting trapika sa Sandawa ug sa Bolton Bridge atong Sabado kay daghang mga sakyanan sa mga parents sa players ang nagparking sa Sandawa ug katong area before pa muagi ug Bolton Bridge. Wala jud makontrol ang trapik (It was a heavy traffic along Sandawa Road and going to the Bolton Bridge as vehicles of players' parents parked along Sandawa Road and on that area before Bolton Bridge)."
Since the first day of the competition drew some 100 teams, organizers decided to extend the games until evening. "First time sad mi nag-festival ingon ato kadaghang teams, seven-A-side nalanggani to. Last year
mga 50 teams raman tong niapilsa age-groups dili parehas atong Sabado nga daghan kaayong nangapil (It was the first time we had a festival that had such huge turnout even if it was only a seven-a-side event. We only had some 50 teams last year in the age-groups unlike last Saturday with so many teams)."
He admitted, "It's a lesson learned that ignorance of the law excuses no one. We will now get necessary permits and coordinate with the city sports office whenever we have tournaments."
Meanwhile, Hyenas Football Club and Football Association of South Cotabato (Fasco) bagged titles in their respective categories. Hyenas topped the under-six category over Black Knights FC and Ateneo that placed second and third, respectively. Fasco, for its part, ruled the under-eight class at the expense of next two teams Crocs FC and A Kids of Central Mindanao University.
Ateneo de Davao University bested Montevista, Compostela Valley for the under-10 title. The latter placed second while Southpoint came third.
The under-12 crown went to Velox FC of South Cotabato as Black Knights settled for the runner-up and Ateneo B finished third. Ateneo also seized the u12 girls title over arch-rival Sakya FC and Addu Kickers.
Black Knights went to capture the U14 boys title as A Kids placed second and Annak Digos third. Emar Human and Environmental College clinched the U17 boys title over Atneo A and Ateneo College while Ateneo governed the distaff side over DDS Teens and Sakya FC.
Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on August 26, 2014.