Tears and quiet-A A +A
Wednesday, August 27, 2014
THE Kadayawan executive committee finally met with the Davao City Tourism officer who was seen in tears during the meeting, but beyond that, everybody opted to say everything's fine and will be better next year.
Kadayawan Foundation chair lawyer Rollie Dumalag, when asked what his recommendations are for next year's festival said, "Ask first, before you write."
Contrary to Dumalag's statement, Sun.Star Davao in all its reports had interviews, proper attributions, and photographs of the events and the issues.
The executive committee had a post Kadayawan meeting at the Public Safety and Security Command Center (PSSCC).
The meeting started past 2 p.m. but the media was only allowed to cover around 3 p.m.
The media also saw City Tourism Officer Lisette Marques crying while the meeting was ongoing. She, however, refused to be interviewed.
Councilor Al Ryan Alejandre said they will try to review all that has been reported by the respective committees.
He also said he will ask City administrator Melchor Quitain and Assistant city administrator lawmaker Jhopee Avanceña-Agustin if it would be possible to release an executive order (EO) creating the executive committee for the 30th Kadayawan Festival, which will be next year.
"I will be asking the committee and Atty. Agustin and Atty. Quitain that the EO will be out as early as now. Para kung sino yung magtatrabaho, maka-start na especially sa city," he said.
Once created, he suggested that the members will meet every month until August next year.
Meanwhile, Dumalag appealed to the media for a balanced news reporting.
"You ask us first before you write so that there must be balance," Dumalag said.
He clarified that there was no "manipulation" made on cash collections and expenses as previously pointed out by Councilor Edgar Ibuyan Sr. to the media.
Ibuyan, who heads the Indak-indak, was interviewed and not just asked in the headline news that came out Wednesday pointing to unusual manner of taking out cash advances from the budget even without the event chairman's approval.
Having gathered this information, Coucnilor Alejandre, the spokesperson for the festival was sought out to give the execom's side.
Dumalag insists everything was recorded to ensure proper cash flow. Alejandre, meanwhile, thanked the media for promoting the activities of the Kadayawan.
Dumalag suggested that there will be a proper communication next time to avoid misunderstanding.
"Walang problema talaga, konti lang. Hindi lang naagapan kaagad. Hindi nalagay sa tamang proseso," he said.
After all, he said the thrust of the Kadayawan and the City Government was "to work as a team." "We are doing this all para sa lahat," he said.
The Kadayawan execom expressed gratitude to all the sponsors during the festival.
They also hope to still work with them next year for a more successful celebration.
Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on August 28, 2014.