City admits error-A A +A
Wednesday, August 20, 2014
OFFICIALS of the City Government of Davao admitted there were lapses on the information dissemination between the marshals and the media during the coverage of the highlights of the Kadayawan sa Dabaw 2014.
Councilor Al Ryan Alejandre said the executive committee learned a lesson from the "misunderstanding" that had happened.
He said the executive committee failed to call for a meeting with the media representatives and the police.
City Information Office assistant head Joseph Lawrence Garcia said there more than 400 stickers distributed to media and photo hobbyists this year compared to last year with roughly 300 only.
"Naanad mi nga before kabalo sila asa mupwesto. Before we also called media outlets kung asa ra sila kutob, especially sa tv kay dako ilang space na ma occupy. Siguro one factor pud is daghan ra kaayo ang photographers karon (We know they know where to position themselves. We also advise media up to where they can occupy especially those in TV because of their bulky equipment. Maybe, one factor is the sheer number of photographers)," Garcia said during the Pulong pulong ni Pulong Tuesday.
"We have to come up with guidelines para lang gyud ma address ni nga issue," he added.
He said during the past meetings, the instruction given to the security was to regulate the areas.
"Regulate meaning kung naay mulampas, paatrason, ana lang. We were thinking tanan places ing-ana ang nahitabo. Sa Rizal Park, naay ing-ana pero nakita nasultian. Wala mi kabalo nga sa laing areas naa pud ingon ana nahitabo until nigawas sa FB nga gina-abog. Wala gyud mi mibawal nga magkuha o mag picture ang photographers (When we said regulate, we meant if someone's out of line, then they will just be asked to go back. We thought that is how it is in all places. We did not realize that marshals were shooing photographers. We never prohibited taking photos)," Garcia said.
"Wala gyud mi ni ingon nga bawalan, nga ayaw ninyo pabutangi ug tao diha. Niingon ra mi nga pwede diha but you regulate the crowd. Ila man gud ginaingon dili daw makakita ang judges. To be fair with everybody, ang pulis ila lang ginabuhat ilang trabaho. Ang media ila lang pud gibuhat ilang trabaho (We never said it is prohibited, we never said that photographers should not be allowed there. We only said, you regular the crowd. They were saying the judges can't see. The policemen were doing their job, the media were doing their job)," he added.
Next year, Alejandre said the executive committee will need the suggestions of the media and the hobbyists to iron out issues during coverage.
"Give us your suggestions. We will meet half way. Tabangi mi nga every year nga dili na ta magkagubot. Basig makahatag mo ug nindot nga suggestion, para dili mo mawad-an ug katungod (Help us so that next year, there will be nothing like this. Maybe you have suggestions so that no one is deprived the right to take photos)," Alejandre said.
"Lesson learned namo nga ayuhon pa namo pagpadagan sa pag treat sa media. Kay kamo dako kaayo mo ug role sa among promotion (We learned to treat media better because you hold a big role in promoting our city)," he added.
Vice Mayor Paolo Z. Duterte said the organizers of the celebration should have systematized everything including the areas where the media should be at.
"Dapat organizer gibutangan daan ug lugar asa dapit mupwesto ang photographers. Pero dili malikayan nga ingon ani gyud. Kung naa man masakitan, mag pinasayloay na lang ta (The organizer should have set aside a space for photographers. But this happens, had anyone been hurt then we apologize)," Duterte said.
Meanwhile, City Tourism Officer Lisette Marques said before the celebration, there were suggestions to copy policies from other festivals in which those who would wish to cover will pay fees.
However, this suggestion was dismissed. "That has to be studied," she said.
Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on August 20, 2014.