Police to look into past report of taxi robbery-A A +A
Wednesday, June 11, 2014
TALOMO police will look into a previous news report in a national daily involving the same person, who claimed to have been robbed by a taxi driver here as the news report eight years ago bore similarity with what has been reported recently.
PCI Alfredo Santillano, officer-in-charge of Talomo Police Station, said they were able to get a copy of the report of a robbery incident that transpired in Cebu in 2006 involving Jesus Dizon II through the internet.
Dizon is the man who identified himself as a pastor who filed a robbery case against taxi driver Santos Descallar Diez here last week.
According to the national daily’s report, Dizon was robbed by a taxi driver and his cohorts who were all armed in Mandaue in September 2006.
His personal belongings such as P33,000 worth of cash, two cellular phones worth P41,200 and set of jewelry taken.
However, Dizon was not able to get the plate number and body number of the taxi.
"Ang copy sa report nakuha namo sa internet base ni sa among impormasyon kay gina-trace man namo ang iyang pagkatao pud (We got the report in the internet since we are also tracing his identity)," Santillano told Sun.Star Davao in an interview Wednesday afternoon.
"Gi-refer ni sa akong imbestigador, iya man pud gi-confirm nga siya ni (Dizon confirmed he is the same person)," he added.
He said he instructed the police investigator assigned to the case to "dig deeper".
"In the meantime, this is our personal consumption sa investigation kay dili man namo ni pwede iapil sa kaso. Naa ni aron kung naay mangutana, naa mi ikasulti (We are not allowed to include this in the ongoing case.
We’re just looking into this so that when we anyone asks us about it, we have something to say)," he said.
"Sa level lang sa namo ni, dili namo pwede iabot sa fiscal. At least makita sa katawhan, naa mi effort gi-exert. Gi tan-aw pud namo iyang pagkatao para dili pud sila makaingon nga siya ang complainant, giduot namo ang respondent (The investigation is at our level only and will not be submitted to the fiscal. We are exerting all efforts so public may know that since he's the complainant we will pin everything on the respondent)," he said.
PSSCC chief Retired General Francisco Villaroman posted on PSSCC's official Facebook page that Senior Superintendent Vicente Danao formed a separate team of investigators to look into the national report.
"The reason behind my request is the absence of a strong evidence presented by the victim in the case folder submitted by Talomo Police Station during the inquest proceedings which I believe will just be dismissed by the prosecutor or the court when remanded in the sala of the judge who will hear the case," Villaroman said.
"Our supplied technical evidence taken and lifted from our public cameras are just the lead to pursue an investigation. It may just be a simple circumstantial evidence when not corroborated by a witness or witnesses to make the case stand in court. It's just a word of a complainant against the word of the alleged suspect. It is better to release 10 criminals who really committed a crime than to place in jail an innocent man... Fair is Fair, isn't it?" he added.
Meanwhile, Sun.Star Davao on Wednesday went to Dizon's house and tried to get his comments regarding the issue which remains to be a hot topic at the official Facebook page of the Public Safety and Security Command Center.
Dizon, after explaining his side lengthily, asked not to be quoted.
Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on June 12, 2014.