2nd wave P17.3-M aid given to fire victims-A A +A
Friday, June 6, 2014
THE City Government of Davao distributed the second wave of cash assistance to affected families whose houses were engulfed by a massive fire at the coastal area of Quezon Boulevard.
A total of 1,730 families from Barangays 22-C and 23-C received P10,000 each in a ceremony held at Magsaysay Park on Thursday late afternoon.
The second wave of financial aid came two months after the fire. The first wave was distributed a week after the fire on April 4.
Mayor Rodrigo Duterte said the total cash assistance worth P17,300,000 is a portion of the P60,770,000 budget that the executive department requested from the City Council last month.
According to City Administrator lawyer Melchor Quitain, the P60-million additional budget is intended for "mitigation purposes of the evacuation site for Badjao-evacuees, fencing and securing Isla Verde and initial rehabilitation of the area."
The affected residents have started to rebuild their homes exactly to where it was before the fire.
"Bumalik kayo kung saan kayo bago nangyari ang sunog," Duterte told the residents.
Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on June 07, 2014.