City's dengue cases down in 1st 5 months-A A +A
Thursday, June 5, 2014
THE City Health Office (CHO) recorded a decline in the number of dengue cases here during the first five months of 2014 compared to the same period last year.
Elizabeth Banzon, CHO coordinator for Tropical Disease control, said dengue cases significantly went down from 2,410 from January to May 2013 to 1,939 in the same period this year.
The number of deaths from January to May 2014 has also dropped from 20 last year to eight this year. The total deaths recorded from January to December last year was 44.
Banzon said most dengue cases recorded this year were found in Talomo South with 348, followed by Talomo North (315), Buhangin (204), Calinan (140), Toril (126), Tugbok (100), Agdao (100), Bunawan (86) and Sasa (82).
"If we eliminate breeding places daily then we reduce the number of dengue cases," Banzon said.
She said the best way to fight dengue is to rid homes and surroundings of breeding places for mosquitoes.
"We only do fogging as a last recourse because it does not kill mosquito larvae, only adults," she said.
According to her, the CHO has been conducting school visits and clean-ups as preventive measures.
She also said the appeal of Mayor Rodrigo Duterte to the barangay captains early this year has attributed to the decrease in the number of cases.
Duterte told barangay captains to be responsible for their community and constituents by keeping their barangays clean and report cases immediately.
Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on June 06, 2014.