Dabawenyos unfazed by disaster: study

-A A +A

Friday, May 9, 2014

MAJORITY of Dabawenyos are not worried of environmental catastrophes, a University Research Council (URC) of Ateneo de Davao University study showed.

The URC of the Ateneo de Davao University released on Friday the result of their city-wide Social Survey, covering 632 adults in three districts and 12 sub-districts of Davao City.

The result showed that 69 percent of the respondents or majority of them are not worried about environmental catastrophes while 31 percent are worried.


Flooding topped the list among other environmental catastrophes that Dabawenyos are worried about while earthquakes and storm surges registering at a distant second. Landslides and mudslides barely cause worries.

The survey also showed the context of the correspondents who personally experienced these environmental-related catastrophes. Of the 632 respondents, 77 percent claimed that they have been through these experiences while 23 percent have not.

Those with personal experiences have often suffered floods with 67 percent of them claiming they have stayed in temporary evacuation while the other 33 percent have not.

The URC also asked about the knowledge of the respondents on weather conditions, 92 percent of them said they know about tsunamis, 73 percent claimed they also have knowledge on low pressure areas (LPA) and 71 percent of them declared they know storm surges.

Only 45 percent, however, are aware of disaster early warning systems while 52 percent claimed that they are aware of a disaster response system and 76 percent said they are not aware of emergency evacuation drills.

The respondents were also asked about officials and organizations who are primarily expected to assume responsibility in times of disaster. The 61 percent of the respondents believed that it barangay officials should claim responsibility and 24 percent believe it should be the local government unit.

Ninety percent of the respondents believe that when it comes to climate change management, local initiatives should collaborate.

URC stated that their City-Wide Social Survey 1 has a four percent sampling error and 95 percent level of significance and all the interviews done in their survey were done face-to-face. (Cathyrine N. Macrojon-UIC Intern)

Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on May 10, 2014.

Local news

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!
  • Calamity Report
  • Pacman blog
  • Papal Visit
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • Technology
  • Philippine Polls
  • Filipino Abroad
  • tell it to sunstar
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • Pnoy
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • Obituary
  • goodearth
  • Habemus Papam
  • Festivals
  • Sinulog
  • ePaper