Authorities still looking for 2 cocaine bricks-A A +A
Friday, May 2, 2014
DAVAO City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte said the authorities here could no longer track the suspected holders of the last two missing cocaine bricks but he commended them for the seizure of the other 62 bricks.
"Nawala na talaga yung dalawa. But it's a good police work actually and I credit it to them for doing it," Duterte told reporters on Thursday night.
Davao City Police Office (DCPO) Director Vicente Danao said they were able to identify the holders of the two bricks but they had already left the city.
The Task Force Cocaine seized a total of 62 cocaine bricks.
The authorities first recovered 24 bricks of cocaine inside a Maersk container van around 7 p.m. of March 22. Another 27 bricks were found on March 23, plus two more bricks found on March 25.
On April 1, a truck operator from Sumifru Wharf surrendered three bricks of high-grade cocaine at the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA)-Davao office, while two suspected drug pushers were arrested in a buy-bust operation last April 9 for trying to sell a total of 779.7 grams of cocaine.
On April 18, a 27-year-old man from Panabo City turned over two more bricks of cocaine to the authorities, bringing the total haul of high-grade cocaine to more or less 62 kilos with an estimated market value of at least P6 million per kilogram.
However, the two bricks weighing around two kilos have not yet been returned to the operatives.
PDEA-Davao Director Emerson Rosales said each brick has a market value of P6 million. (ANC)
Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on May 03, 2014.