Fire guts 18 houses; 30 families homeless-A A +A
Friday, April 4, 2014
MORE than 30 families were displaced after a fire gutted down 18 houses and damaged four at Purok 12-A in Barangay 76-A Bucana, Davao City on Thursday.
Senior Fire Officer 1 (SFO1) Ramil Gillado of the Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP)-Davao City Investigations and Intelligence Section, in an interview with Sun.Star Davao, said the blaze started around 7:40 p.m. and was put out after more than an hour.
"A total of 36 families were displaced and the estimated cost of damage was more or less P1 million. The possible cause of the fire was an electrical short circuit," Gillado said.
He also said the fire started at the second floor of the house of Elizabeth Paco. The suspected electrical short circuit may have happened at the ceiling portion in the second floor of Paco's house. The fire quickly spread as the houses were close to each other.
Firefighters from BFP-Davao, Central 911 Fire Auxiliary Services, and Volunteer Fire Brigade responded at the scene and declared “fire out” around 8:50 p.m.
No casualties were reported in the incident.
Gillado, however, said he does not know where the victims were evacuated but usually, they are temporarily housed at the barangay gym.
The City Social Services and Development Office (CSSDO), meanwhile, is yet to express its intent of shelling out financial assistance for the affected families.
Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on April 05, 2014.