Holders of 11 missing cocaine bricks warned-A A +A
Tuesday, March 25, 2014
DAVAO City Police Office (DCPO) Director Vicente Danao Jr. warned on Tuesday those still holding on to 11 bricks of high-grade cocaine to return them lest face the consequences.
"I'm telling you, hijo, hindi mo maibebenta yang droga na yan. Just a warning sayo kung sino ka man. We're giving you time na ibalik yang drugs na yan. Hindi mo maibebenta yan. Swerte na kung may mabebenta kang isang kilo diyan. Napakaliit ng Davao para maibenta mo yan, kung maibenta mo man yan sa ibang lugar swerte ka. If that will be found in your possession, selling that drugs, sisiguraduhin ko may paglalagyan ka," Danao said during the Pulong-pulong ni Pulong (PPP) held Tuesday morning.
Danao said he suspects someone working from the Sumifru Wharf, where the other cocaine bricks were recovered over the weekend, possesses the missing bricks, which cost P6 million each.
"Alam namin na trabahante ang kumuha niyan kasi kayo yung very first people na nandoon, if you will try to examine yung mga drugs na nakuha doon, ang nakuha ay yung nasa harap eh, hindi sa likod," he said.
Mayor Rodrigo Duterte has offered P100,000 cash reward (for each brick) returned.
As of Tuesday, at least two more bricks were found at the vicinity of the wharf.
Danao assured that the illegal drugs are not intended for Davao City.
"Apat na port na pinanggalingan niyan, hindi yan para dito kasi alam nila kung gaano kahigpit ang Davao City pagdating sa drugs. It's more of a divine intervention. Malas lang nila at dito pa yan nahuli," he said.
The Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) operatives conducted their field examination on one of the recovered bricks, confirming that the packages are high-grade cocaine.
"In so far as our intel is concerned, wala pang market ng cocaine dito sa Davao. Pero meron tayong mga individuals na gumagamit," he said. "Kung sakali man malaman ko sino nasa likod nito, isusugal ko panerbisyo ko para lang mahuli yan."
The DCPO, Bunawan Police Station, and PDEA first recovered 24 bricks of the high-grade cocaine weighing about 25.968 kilograms inside a Maersk container van around 7 p.m. Saturday, March 22.
On Sunday, the authorities recovered 27 more brick of cocaine weighing more than 27 kilos, of which 23 were recovered at the back seat of a Fuso Trailer truck inside the wharf, while the four others were found at the top of the generator set power house.
Duterte earlier urged anyone at the Sumifru Wharf who got one to just return it, and no question will be asked. He said he has no reason to believe that anyone is directly involved since this is an action of an international syndicate.
A special investigation Task Force Group was created Monday to investigate on the shipment. The task force will be headed by the PDEA-Davao.
Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on March 26, 2014.