Robbery at Bureau of Customs-Davao probed-A A +A
Wednesday, March 19, 2014
A TOP official of the Enforcement and Security Service (ESS) Port of Davao said an investigation is being conducted on the robbery that took place during the demolition of the former Intellectual Property Office (IPO) at the Bureau of Customs (BOC)-Davao Capacity Building Center in Sasa, Davao City last February 22.
ESS-Davao chief Major Camilo Cascolan Jr., in a phone interview with Sun.Star Davao, said he told the complainant Digno Enerio, a former officer of IPO and currently an officer of the Customs Intelligence and Investigation Service (CIIS), that he is already conducting an investigation to track down the suspect who took Enerio's personal belongings and documents.
"Siya na rin nagsabi na meron daw tao dun na may susi sa kwarto nila and nakakapasok without them knowing. Sinabi ko sa kanya na di pwedeng mawalan ka. Mahahanap ko kung sinong kumuha niyan, (It was him who said that there is someone who has a key to their office and can enter without them knowing. I told him that you losing something is unacceptable. I will find out who took the things.)" Cascolan said.
Stolen from the former office of Enerio were a wristwatch, a pair of sunglasses, a pair of Adidas Shoes, around 20 sheets of plywood and Inward Foreign Manifests showing illegal rice importations covering the year 2012.
Enerio told Sun.Star Davao recently that during the demolition,he chanced upon seven so-called "Hao-shiaos" or non-organic BOC employees who tore down his office on the directive of Ricardo Pantig of the Customs police.
When asked about allegations of illegal demolition, Cascolan maintained that he had already informed Enerio ahead.
"I even volunteered to shoulder the expenses for the demolition and I even advised him to get his things inside the office," Cascolan said.
He also said that the former IPO was just condoned for last two years and it was just about time to demolish it to make the third floor conducive for Bureau of Customs (BOC)-Davao official use.
"I recommended for it to be removed since first of all, they cannot have a separate office as they already have a new office now. It was also very dirty and some IPO documents were scattered," Cascolan said.
But while Enerio cried foul over the alleged illegal demolition after he claimed that he was not served with the memo of Cascolan dated February 5, BOC-Davao public information officer Fatima Espino told reporters recently that he was given due notice.
BOC-Davao admin officer Marie Fe Eltagonde also issued a memo dated February 18 ordering the seizure of the IPO documents.
Enerio, in a separate interview, said he is still poised to file complaints against Cascolan, Eltagonde and Pantig before the Office of the Ombudsman.
Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on March 19, 2014.