Avoid migraine (Second part)-A A +A
Tuesday, August 19, 2014
DEAR Exasperated Judy,
Now, as we continue with our quest in conquering your migraines, let us look a lot deeper with the migraine triggers.
j. Smoking and second hand smoke
Avoid them as much as possible, especially those people around you who smoke. The toxins in the smoke can really hurt you bad.
k. Take note of other migraine triggers! Be cautious of the following:
* Strong emotions, like depression and anxiety.
* Don't push too hard when you exercise. When you feel it hurts, stop.
* Avoid aspartame. This is an artificial, non-saccharide sweetener used as a sugar substitute in some foods and beverages.
* Avoid Monosodium glutamate (MSG). I tell you, they can hurt you really bad.
* Avoid Nitrates. You can find them in cured meats like hot dogs, bacon, and cold cuts. Whew! They sound delicious, looks really delicious but, the pains they will give you will make you forget how delicious they are.
* Avoid Tyramines. They are found in pickled or marinated foods, aged cheeses, and yeast.
* Caffeine is good, but if taken in excess, can hurt you. But, you can also be hurt when you are withdrawing from caffeine.
* Be cautious about birth control pills and hormone therapy. They might make your day really bad.
* Watch out for medicines that expand your blood vessels or vasodilators, likenitrates and anti hypertensive medications such as nifedipine, amlodipine and the likes.
* If you are also using too much of analgesics for your headache, this can lead instead to rebound headache which would give you more pangs. So, keep your medicines to a minimum. Don't over treat.
Of course, I would require you to have headache diary handy so, you'll be able to take note anything that triggers your migraine. Be sure to write every single of them. Try not to miss a bit, my dear Judy!
In this headache diary, I would like you to jot down the following items every single day for about three months.
1. Anything that you eat and drink
2. What are the kinds of exercise or activity that you do and when did you do them?
3. If you are well or not
4. The weather for that particular day - is it hot, cold, gloomy, or rainy?
5. Whether you have strong feelings or under the weather? Or are you stressed out?
6. If you get a headache, how bad is it?
7. Take note of the medicine you get when you have headache and how did you like it?
If you keep on with your diary every day, soon you will be able to see your headache pattern. Try to look when you got those headaches. What are the foods have you taken? What are the things that you have done? It is very important that you will be able to find your triggers because this is the only way that you can avoid them.
Well, as much as there are still more things that we need to discuss about your problem, let me then, continue this in my next issue. Until then!
(For your questions, you may send them to Dear Dr. Fritz, c/o Sunstar-Davao Publishing Inc., Ebro-Pelayo Building, Jacinto St., Davao City, (former Department of Foreign Affairs office), across Ateneo de Davao University and beside Holy Child School of Davao, or you e-mail them to email@example.com. Sorry if we cannot answer all your queries. Thank you for your understanding.)
Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on August 19, 2014.