Power firm to inaugurate 2 hydro plants

-A A +A

Friday, April 25, 2014

DAVAO DEL SUR - Hedcor, a fully-owned subsidiary of Aboitiz Power, announced Thursday that it will inaugurate the two Tudaya Hydroelectric power plants that will augment the power supply of Davao del Sur and Davao City.

In an interview, Emmanuel Medelo, grid manager of Hedcor, said the combined power capacity of Tudaya Hydro 1 and Tudaya Hydro 2 may reach 14 MW, with each plant can generate 6.6 MW and 7 MW, respectively.

Tudaya Hydro 1 is located upstream of the existing Sibulan Hydro A while Tudaya Hydro 2 operates next to Sibulan Hydro B in Sta. Cruz, this province.


Although set for inauguration next month, the two power plants have been commissioned since March 2014.

For the meantime, Tudaya 1 only operates 30 percent of 6.6 MW maximum power capacity and may run on full commercial operation early June 2014.

No less than Department of Energy (DOE) secretary Carlos Jericho Petilla and other executives from Hedcor and Aboitiz will grace the inauguration next month.

The construction of two hydropower plants started in 2011, with Hedcor pouring out some P1.8 billion for these latest projects.

Tudaya 1 and the four-year old Sibulan Hydro A and Hydro B have been contracted to Davao Light and Power Company (DLPC), another subsidiary of Aboitiz Power. Meanwhile, Tudaya 2 supplies Davao del Sur Electric Cooperative Inc. (Dasureco) with 7 MW.

Davao City's energy requirement ranges from 270 MW to 302 MW while the Davao del Sur is 32 MW.

During hot season, Medelo added that they reduce the load from 10 p.m. to 12 midnight, depending on the available water in the river, while the plants are completely shut down from 12 mignight 4 a.m. to stock enough water for the next day's use.

"That's the time din na mag-conduct kami ng inspection sa makina para the next day we can assure na hindi magshut down ang makina," he said.

At least 90 percent of the river's water is used to run the four hydro plants while the remaining 10 percent is left for the river ecosystem.

Hedcor also runs five other small hydropower plants in Talomo with a combined power capacity of 4 MW.

Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on April 25, 2014.


DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!