Police preparation in place; only Piolo asks for security-A A +A
Tuesday, July 22, 2014
SECURITY preparations are in place for the Cobra Ironman 70.3 Philippines in Lapu-Lapu City on Aug. 3, a top police official said yesterday.
Some 1,000 personnel will be deployed by Police Regional Office (PRO) 7 for the highly-anticipated triathlon that will be participated by 2,500 athletes from 40 countries.
Senior Supt. Erson Digal, PRO 7's Regional Operations and Plans Division chief, said they will give full security to athletes.
Yesterday, the police, military, government agencies and organizers met at Camp Sergio Osmeña for the final coordinating conference.
Last week, the organizers of Cobra Ironman 70.3 Philippines released on their website the final 90-kilometer bike route, which has updates of the turnaround points. These were revised due to road constructions in the old race route.
One of the turnaround points this year is at the Talisay Fish Port Bay, which was the same as that of last year.
The former turnaround point at the Cebu International Convention Center (CICC) last year was transferred to the Palma Road entering the tunnel going to the Cebu South Coastal Road (CSCR).
Some 13 high-profile participants are expected to attend this year's Cobra Ironman 70.3.
Insp. Isagani Bajao, deputy chief of Regional Police Escort Unit (RPEU) 7, said actor Piolo Pascual has requested for a close-in security.
The RPEU 7 will deploy six police personnel in the ground and will pull out its other officers who are undergoing a VIP course to beef up the force.
According to the organizers, the registration for the Cobra Ironman 70.3 was sold out within four hours after online sign-ups was opened last Oct.
The international sporting event will be hosted by Cebu for the third time. The first Cobra Ironman 70.3 was held in Camarines Sur in 2009. DSM
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on July 23, 2014.