Melindo open to clash with Marquez for IBF belt-A A +A
Friday, January 4, 2013
HERNAN “Tyson” Marquez is chasing a rematch with current World Boxing Association and World Boxing Organization (WBO) flyweight champion Brian Viloria. But if the Filipino-Hawaiian chooses to relinquish his title, then the Mexican former world title holder would like to face unbeaten Milan Melindo.
That was what Marquez’s promoter Fernando Beltran told Boxing Scene.If that pushes through, ALA Promotions president Michael Aldeguer, Melindo’s handler, is open to the idea.
“That fight would be exciting. We are just waiting for the WBO and the move of Viloria. We already sent our letter and application to the WBO last November,” said Aldeguer.
The 24-year-old Melindo is the mandatory challenger for Viloria’s WBO belt. But if Viloria decides to vacate the title, then Melindo is first in line to fight for the vacant crown.
Marquez, on the other hand, is rated 12th in the WBO. Rated No. 2 is Filipino prospect Froilan Saludar.
“It will be a very exciting fight and tough fight for both,” Aldeguer said of a possible Melindo-Marquez match-up.
Melindo, 28-0 with 11 knockouts, has won all his three fights against two former world champions and a one-time world title. He scored a seventh round technical knockout over Juan Esquer; a first round knockout over Jesus Geles; and majority decision against Jean Piero Perez.
Marquez, 34-3 with 25 knockouts, beat two Filipinos, Ritchie Mepranum and Fernando Lumacad, last year. But he ended 2012 with a 10th round stoppage loss to Viloria.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on January 04, 2013.