Elderly receive P2,000 from city hall-A A +A
Sunday, August 17, 2014
SOME 58,000 senior citizens in Cebu City received their P2,000 financial assistance from the City Government yesterday.
The distribution, which was the third tranche this year, was simultaneously done in the barangays in the north and south districts of the city.
City Administrator Lucelle Mercado said the half-day activity was orderly, considering the City followed the same system of distribution it applied in previous distributions.
“The distribution was so nice, it went well,” Mercado told Sun.Star Cebu.
Twenty-one department heads supervised the distribution with their respective personnel serving as disbursing officers.
Some 90 percent of the seniors were able to claim their cash aid yesterday.
The rest will be entertained at City Hall on Tuesday, she said. Booths will be set up at the Plaza Sugbo, in front of the legislative building.
“Since we will be distributing the allowances to our barangay officials on Monday, we will continue the (distribution for the) seniors on the following day because Wednesday is too far already and we know that those who failed to get their money were excited to claim it,” Mercado said.
Not finalized yet
Bedridden seniors also got their aid yesterday since department heads were asked to conduct house visits after the regular distribution to personally hand over the money to them.
The City set aside P121 million for the release of a series of financial assistance: P116 million for the seniors while the remainder is for the allowances of barangay officials.
So far, senior citizens have received a total of P5,000 from the City.
Earlier, Mayor Michael Rama promised to give them P12,000 as annual financial assistance.
He, however, has yet to decide if the City will give the full amount in cash since he plans to give half of it in the form of goods. (RVC)
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on August 17, 2014.