Family donates land for Yolanda survivors-A A +A
Monday, August 4, 2014
GOV. Hilario Davide III yesterday announced that the Ancajas family has donated land in Kawit, Medellin to be used as a relocation site for typhoon Yolanda survivors, especially those living on coastal danger zone.
Davide said he will turn over the land to the barangay, through the barangay captain.
When asked why he is bypassing Mayor Ricardo Ramirez, Davide said that was the recommendation of Baltazar Tribunalo of the Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction Management Officer.
Setting an example
In thanking the Ancajas family for the donation, Davide said he hopes other families with vast tracts of land in northern Cebu will follow their example.
The signing of the deed of donation was done at the governor’s office yesterday afternoon.
Ramirez, for his part, said he has no problem if the governor will bypass him, adding that it’s one less problem for him.
However, Ramirez pointed out there is no danger zone in his town because it is not vulnerable to a storm surge, unlike Tacloban City, which is facing the Pacific Ocean.
Ramirez said the Ancajas family, represented by Fanny Ancajas Ramos, owns the entire Gibitngil Island, a barangay in Medellin, which had been placed under the Comprehensive Agrarian Reform Program but is under appeal.
“The plan to relocate the residents of Gibitngil was planned a long time ago, during the ‘80s, and their (Ancajas) land in Kawit was identified as the relocation site.
This time, the population of Gibitngil has tripled and I don’t think Gibitngil barangay officials would agree to their extinction as a barangay if they are transferred to Kawit,” Ramirez said.
Ramirez said he hopes the Ancajas family didn’t make the donation so they can sell the entire island to an investor.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on August 05, 2014.