6 PRO7 cops face hearing-A A +A
Sunday, July 20, 2014
SIX policemen accused of committing misdemeanor will face summary hearing proceedings in Police Regional Office (PRO) 7.
Senior Supt. Rey Lyndon Lawas, acting chief of PRO 7’s Regional Investigation and Detective Management Division (RIDMD), said they include four intelligence officers who tested positive in a surprise drug test last March.
The two other policemen were accused of abuse of authority for indiscriminate firing and acting as police escort of drug dependents to a rehabilitation center.
They will undergo a summary hearing, which is an administrative procedure to determine their culpability or innocence on the case.
Lawas, when interviewed by reporters, said he noticed there is an increase of incidents involving erring policemen who are still in service.
“As we try to strengthen our disciplinary machinery, nakita nato lately nga daghan kauban nato were found who have committed misdemeanor,” he said.
Lawas said they are monitoring every activity of policemen as part of their efforts in cleaning their ranks of abusive and undesirable members.
“This is one way of getting the trust and confidence of the public,” he said, adding policemen must be good public servants with integrity.
Last March, the Regional Intelligence Division (RID) held a random drug test among its 120 personnel in line with their counter-intelligence program.
Based on the initial screening, four policemen, whose name withheld pending the completion of the case, tested positive. A confirmatory test was conducted on them and yielded the same results.
In Siquijor province, a policeman who was caught in a video firing his gun and allegedly threatening a family last June 11 in Candanay Norte will also undergo summary hearing.
Lawas said they found enough evidence to charge PO3 Allan Bautista administratively following a pre-charge evaluation.
This is a procedure that determines if there is enough basis to charge a policeman on the allegations raised before the case will be elevated to a summary hearing.
Criminal complaints for grave threats, illegal discharge of firearm and alarm and scandal were also filed against Bautista. The policeman is now assigned in Regional Personnel Holding Admin Unit (RPHAU).
On the case of SPO2 Jonas Paquibot, Lawas said the policeman will also be subjected to a summary hearing on the latter’s third complaint.
Paquibot was previously accused of escorting a businessman from Balamban town to a rehabilitation center in Cebu City. The businessman later turned up dead in a private hospital last year.
In April, another complainant went to PRO 7 to report Paquibot of committing a similar offense.
Lawas said these two cases have been submitted for resolution to the summary hearing officers. They are now only waiting for the sanction on Paquibot.
In the third complaint, Paquibot was accused of forcibly taking a man from Barangay Kalunasan and illegally admitting him to a rehabilitation center.
If the six policemen will be found guilty during the summary hearing, Lawas said the maximum penalty that will be imposed on them is dismissal from service.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on July 21, 2014.