P9M for ‘self-help’-A A +A
Friday, July 18, 2014
THREE suppliers’ requests for payment have led to a review of a Cebu City Hall transaction that allegedly suffers from some lapses, like the lack of documents and the council’s approval.
Som members of the Cebu City Council are questioning the executive department’s use of P8.8 million to fund site development projects in seven barangays of the city.
The amount was charged to the P50-million site development fund of the City Government last year.
Three suppliers, who provided the construction materials to Barangays Tisa, Sawang Calero, Pasil, Bulacao, Labangon, Mambaling and Suba, are already asking the City to pay them.
These suppliers are Domingo Garcia of Pentax Hardware Inc., Andrea Tan of Geety Construction and Felicitas Guanzon of Centrade Hardware.
In a report, committee on budget and finance chief Councilor Margarita Osmeña said the use of the P8.8 million was not approved by the legislative body as it lacked a council resolution.
Also, Osmeña said, it is the Office of the Mayor that implemented the site development projects when Executive Order (EO) 13-2 of Mayor Michael Rama tasked the Division for the Welfare of the Urban Poor (DWUP) to handle the matter.
Osmeña also said that the purchase orders for the construction materials were received by the suppliers last June, but the deliveries of sand, gravel and cement were already made starting last April 1.
The site development fund pays for the construction of pathways and alleys; road improvements; rehabilitation or repair of wire or pipe connections, drainage systems, septic tanks or cisterns, water reservoir or wells, lighting system, and toilets and accessories, among others.
These are considered “self-help projects” for the barangays.
The site development fund was meant to be used for site development projects in Barangays Budlaan, Busay, Binaliw, San Jose, Pit-os, Lorega and Talamban in the north district. Suba, Mambaling, Sawang Calero, Pasil, Tisa, Labangon and Bulacao in the south district would also get their share.
As for the obligation requests, Osmeña said a copy was not dated nor signed by the City Budget Office, which is supposed to certify that a correct appropriation exists.
Also, she said the programs of works and estimates (Powe) for the site development projects in the seven barangays were not signed by DWUP chief Atty. Collin Rosell and Mayor Michael Rama.
Moreover, Osmeña said there are Powe forms that lack the list of beneficiaries, while some signatures on those that have a list of beneficiaries appear to be fraudulent.
Osmeña asked the executive department to review all the documents related to the P8.8-million transaction and to correct any deficiencies.
This way, she added, the City can pay its obligations to the three suppliers.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on July 19, 2014.