Police focus on 4 persons in King slay-A A +A
Sunday, June 22, 2014
POLICE investigators are now shifting their focus to four “persons of interest” who could be behind the killing of Cebu-based hotelier Richard King.
This was revealed Saturday by Deputy Director General Felipe Rojas Jr., following a case conference on King’s death at the Police Regional Office (PRO) 7.
The conference was attended by investigators from Cebu City, Davao City and Iloilo City.
“This is in compliance with the instruction of the President for the police to solve major crimes that happened in the last two weeks,” said Rojas, deputy chief for administration of Philippine National Police (PNP).
Rojas said their investigation leans towards King’s business dealings and personal relations.
The pieces of evidence that police have gathered and the computer-generated facial composite of the gunman were discussed during the conference.
“May sketch na, but we’re still looking into the whole group. Behind the gunman is a mastermind,” Rojas said.
The investigators are also exploiting the forensic evidence after recovering an empty shell at the crime scene.
The evidence was subjected to a ballistic examination to determine if the firearm had been used in previous crimes.
Alleged land-grabbing issues against King, he said, were also discussed together with personnel from Police Regional Office (PRO) 6 in Iloilo.
King’s hotel in Boracay was dragged into the killing of a spokesperson of the Boracay Ati Tribal Organization in Feb. 22 last year.
Rojas said they couldn’t also find any link that King’s attack was drug-related.
“We don’t have evidence on that. We couldn’t find any link with him on a drug syndicate,” he said.
Rojas said investigators are not rushing things so they can get solid evidence for the case to stand in court.
“Hinay-hinay pero kanunay (We don’t rush things, we stay focused),” he said.
Rojas said they are optimistic to solve King’s case in time.
“We don’t have a timeline. We just do our best and make it as soon as possible,” he said.
He appeals to the public to help the police in identifying the gunman. A P1.3-million reward money awaits the informant.
King, chief executive officer of J. King and Sons Co. Inc, was at a dinner function last June 12 inside the Vital-C Health Products Inc. building in Barrio Obrero, Davao City when a man approached him and fired. (DSM)
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on June 22, 2014.