32% of 103,318 Yolanda-hit households received aid-A A +A
Sunday, June 22, 2014
THIRTY-TWO percent of Yolanda-affected households in northern Cebu were already covered with shelter assistance, said an official from the Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management (PDRRM) Office.
PDRRM officer Baltazar Tribunalo Jr. said there are 103,318 households affected in the 15 towns and one city in the Province.
Tribunalo, who also heads the Task Force Paglig-on, reported the developments from the PDRRM office before Cebu Gov. Hilario Davide III and the department heads.
Last Wednesday, each of the department heads presented their “Key Result Areas and Accomplishment” report to the governor as part of Davide’s preparation for his State of the Province Address.
Tribunalo said P78 million, out of the P285 million from the National Government for the Yolanda survivors, was spent for the repair, construction and other poverty alleviation programs.
Some of the financial assistance given by the National Government was coursed through the regional offices.
Among the government offices that have forwarded assistance to the Capitol are the Department of Agriculture, Department of Interior and Local Government, Department of Social Welfare and Development and Department of Trade and Industry.
“Tanan interventions moagi gyud sila nato kay kita may (All interventions needed to help the Yolanda survivors will go through the Province because we are the) coordinating or implementing agency,” Tribunalo said.
However, he clarified that the P285 million was not all placed in the coffers of the Province, but some were directly given to the local government units affected.
Tribunalo said a part of the amount mentioned will still have to be downloaded to the LGUs.
The Provincial Government will need P12.2 billion for the rehabilitation and recovery plan in northern Cebu after Yolanda struck last Nov. 8 last year.
Tribunalo said the contributions from the different government agencies will be deducted from the amount needed to rehabilitate northern Cebu.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on June 23, 2014.