More cops linked to shabu trade-A A +A
Tuesday, June 17, 2014
SOME low-ranking police officers are allegedly receiving payola from a suspected drug lord who was killed in Bohol Province earlier this month.
Supt. Pablo Labra II, Police Regional Office 7’s Regional Intelligence Division acting chief, said they recovered a list of drug pushers and possible protectors of Owen Rosales.
“We are now validating this information to find out their possible involvement,” he told reporters yesterday.
Rosales and his five companions were killed in a shootout with police inside a beach resort in Bien Unido, Bohol last June 8.
He was classified as the number one drug personality in Bohol. He was also a former policeman who was dismissed from service for being absent without official leave.
Labra said they have asked the Anti-Cybercrime Group 7 to extract information from the mobile phones of Rosales and his companions as this might help in their investigation.
“We are looking into the codes possibly owned by the police officers,” he said, referring to aliases the “dirty cops” are using.
He said these policemen are from Bohol and Cebu City and are still on active duty.
He said they already have names but won’t divulge these until they finish their investigation.
According to intelligence information, these police officers are paid depending on their role or participation.
Once they verify the information, Labra said these police officers will be investigated and may face administrative and criminal charges for protecting a drug suspect.
Camp Crame, he said, also issued a directive that police officers found guilty under this offense will be dismissed or reassigned in Mindanao.
The shootout between Rosales’s group and police came after they allegedly shot and killed Chief Insp. George Caña, Ubay Police Station head, last June 7.
Caña, a known anti-drug crusader, was responsible for several arrests of drug pushers in Bohol that may have affected Rosales’s operation.
In a report over GMA 7’s Balitang Bisdak, one of Rosales’s companions, 18-year-old Amie Camero, was laid to rest last Monday in Talisay City, Cebu.
Also killed in the shootout were Armando Quisto, 33; Glenn Sayson, 34; Junifer Bicada, 36; and Carlito Kiamko.
Their companions Roberto Olalo, 35, of Davao City; Paolo Avenido, 33, of Poblacion, Bien Unido; Orlando Garcia, 35, of Magsaysay, Talibon; and Joan Cajes, 18, of Poblacion, Trinidad, surrendered to police.
In a related development, the owner of the beach resort Rosales’s group was renting is still in the custody of the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) 7.
Atty. Max Salvador, NBI 7 director, said they will turn over Troy dela Torre to police
once the court issues an arrest warrant.
He said NBI Director Virgilio Mendez ordered a team of agents to investigate the ambush-slay of Caña.
Salvador said they are focusing on the illegal drug trade as a possible motive behind the attack.
“The drug problem is getting worse,” he said. “We must make a decisive action.”
The NBI is coordinating with the Bohol Provincial Police Office regarding the case.
Salvador said they are interrogating dela Torre, who is not considered under arrest.
“He is under custody right now,” he said. “We are trying to solicit information.”
Dela Torre, in an earlier report, told the NBI he was not in cahoots with Rosales.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on June 18, 2014.