Murder, carnapping suspect surrenders-A A +A
Sunday, June 8, 2014
THE last member of a group who was allegedly responsible for shooting two persons and stealing six vehicles in Cebu City in May surrendered to police last Saturday.
The City Intelligence Branch (CIB) of Cebu City Police Office (CCPO) picked up Renante “Tambok” Baylosis at his hideaway in Ormoc City at 7 p.m.
Baylosis, when interviewed by Sun.Star Cebu in his detention cell, said he turned himself to police to clear his name.
“Wala man koy sala gud. Gusto nako ilimpyo akong ngalan (I did no crime. I want to clear my name),” he said.
Last week, police caught the two other suspects in separate operations. They were identified as Manuel Richard “Batchoy” Corominas and Paul (named withheld for being a minor), 14.
The group was accused of being involved in shooting and carnapping incidents in May 25.
One of the victims, Eleanor Rivera, was wounded after she was shot in the abdomen twice. She also lost P50,000 cash.
Baylosis, in the interview, said he and the boy were forced by Corominas to get into a taxi cab they flagged down in Jakosalem St., Cebu City.
“Kung monaog kuno mi, pamatyon kuno mi niya (If we go down, he’d kill us),” he said.
Baylosis said they were reportedly going to Minglanilla town for a field trip. He met
Corominas that day after he was asked by his employer to get a motorcycle.
The police report said they forced the taxi driver to get out when they reached in Talisay City. They proceeded to Barangay Tabunan, Cebu City, where they bumped a motorcycle.
They shot Julius Capuno, who was riding on pillion, in the stomach.
Ramil Abatayo, who was passing by, stopped and tried to help, thinking there had been an accident. He was struck in the head with the gun.
The three men left on board Abatayo’s motorcycle and headed to Ayala Heights.
On their way there, they encountered Rivera’s sports utility vehicle (SUV) parked beside the road. They shot Rivera.
They got on board the SUV and proceeded to Barangay Babag, Cebu City where they saw John Paul Zamora driving his motorcycle.
They took his motorcycle and headed to Barangay Bonbon, Cebu City where they commandeered a multicab.
The group reached Plaza Housing in Barangay Busay, Cebu City and abandoned the vehicle. They then got on board a jeepney.
Supt. Romeo Santander, head of CIB, said Baylosis’s mother went to his office on Saturday morning regarding the suspect’s surrender.
Meanwhile, Corominas and Paul are now charged with criminal cases for the alleged killing of Cebu City Vice Mayor Edgardo Labella’s nephew by Assistant City Prosecutor Alex Gabud of the Office of the City Prosecutor.
Both now face murder and attempted murder cases.
Gabud resolved the cases after the two accused opted not to avail themselves of their right for preliminary investigation.
The murder case was filed against Corominas and Paul for they allegedly conspired to kill Teodorico Tolentino Jr. in Barangay Labangon, Cebu City last May 29.
The two accused were charged with attempted murder after they wounded Charles dela Cruz on the same day.
Tolentino was rushed to the hospital, but he died a few hours after.
His 70-year-old mother said a witness told her that Corominas and Paul carried out the crime under the instruction of a drug dealer.
Dela Cruz, 23, told her that he was the real target, but Corominas and Paul misfired. Tolentino was hit instead.
The police caught Corominas, 35, while the latter was visiting his family in Barangay Day-as two days after the incident.
Paul was arrested in a separate operation.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on June 09, 2014.