B. Rodriguez Ext. cleared of 30 illegal structures-A A +A
Monday, June 2, 2014
SOME 30 illegal structures along B. Rodriquez Ext. in Sitio Riverside, Barangay Sambag 2, were cleared on Monday following a complaint received by the Cebu City Government.
The operation was undertaken by the Prevention Restoration Order Beautification Enhancement (Probe) and the Cebu City Anti-mendicancy Board.
According to Probe Chief Raquel Arce, the illegal structures, which were a mixture of makeshift homes and stores, were blocking the newly cemented road in the area and the project could not continue because of the obstructions.
“After the area was cleared, the barangay can now push through with the construction of the gutter (and sidewalks),” Arce said.
“So far, there was no commotion during the operation because they were informed ahead of time,” she said, adding that Probe had sent a 72-hour notice to the affected families.
Probe also checked the whole stretch of B. Rodriquez for illegal structures that encroach on the sidewalk.
It had warned vendors a few months ago to keep the sidewalk open for pedestrian use.
Probe also sent notices to several establishments and house owners whose structures encroach on sidewalks in different parts of the city.
On J. De Vera St., Department of Public Works and Highways asked the City to clear an inn’s fence that is encroaching on a portion of the sidewalk.
Probe will also clear structures in an idle lot owned by the City at the Carbon public market next week.
The lot is beside the Senior Citizen’s Park, a few meters from the Cebu City Hall.
Probe plans to develop it into another public park.
The vendors were informed about the clearing operation and were advised to remove their structures voluntarily. (RVC)
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on June 03, 2014.