Ex-Cebu City vice mayor dead-A A +A
Thursday, May 29, 2014
FORMER Cebu City vice mayor Renato Osmeña died at dawn yesterday. He was 74.
Councilor Richard Osmeña, in an interview, said his father succumbed to a heart attack around 3 a.m. at the Cebu Doctors’ Hospital.
Richard said his father had been confined in the hospital since last week after he broke his hip while playing golf in Danao City.
Richard said his father underwent a successful operation and was supposed to be discharged last Sunday.
“Pero wa nadayon kay nag-chest pain siya (That didn’t push through because he had chest pains),” he said.
Richard described his father as a “disciplinarian, a good friend and a good provider.”
Renato became city councilor for three terms and later served as vice mayor for two terms under the administration of Alvin Garcia.
During the time of his first cousin former mayor Tomas Osmeña, Renato served as president of the Sinulog Foundation Inc., a position he held even after he retired from politics.
No burial date yet
Richard said his father’s wake will be held at the Cosmopolitan Funeral Homes in Barangay Lahug.
He said their family has yet to discuss when the burial will be. He said they are still waiting for relatives to arrive on Saturday from the US.
Unlike former city officials who passed away, Richard said they will not bring his father’s remains to the City Hall for necrological rites.
He said they will just allot one day of his wake for City Hall officials and employees who wish to bid his father goodbye.
“I’m sad about it (his father’s death) but I know he lived a fulfilled life,” Richard said.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on May 30, 2014.