Transfer of PAF facilities to cost MCIAA P800M-A A +A
Tuesday, April 15, 2014
THE Mactan-Cebu International Airport Authority (MCIAA) will construct 17 facilities for the Philippine Air Force (PAF) before the GMR-Megawide consortium will start constructing a new passenger terminal.
The new facilities will cost some P800 million.
MCIAA General Manager Nigel Paul Villarete said PAF owns at least 17 facilities located within the MCIAA property and these are included in the airport services modernization.
“These Air Force facilities shall be transferred because we are building a new terminal,” Villarete said, adding that the project is now with the MCIAA's Bids and Awards Committee (BAC) pursuant to Republic Act 9184.
The area where the 17 facilities are located and will be vacated by PAF is part of the 90 hectares whose ownership was transferred to MCIAA when it became an authority in 1991.
PAF still has 153 hectares in the adjacent Mactan-Benito Ebuen Air Base.
A letter signed anonymously had been sent to Villarete and the media, criticizing the BAC for alleged irregularities in the bidding of the project.
Villarete said this is still subject for verification.
“Once it will be elevated to the procurement entity, which is the Board of Directors, that's the time that we will officially take our action on the allegations that we have heard,” Villarete said.
“Again, all of these things should be done in its proper time and proper procedure,” Villarete said.
The relocation of PAF facilities was supposed to be done in 2005 yet when then MCIAA general manager Adelberto Yap and then PAF chief Lt. Gen. Jose Reyes signed an agreement to that effect.
In that agreement, PAF will accept "goodwill money" in the amount of P60 million from MCIAA. In return, PAF will demolish its facilities within the MCIAA property and reconstruct it in remaining area of the air base.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on April 16, 2014.