City hospital demolished 3 weeks ahead of schedule-A A +A
Tuesday, April 1, 2014
THE demolition of the 45-year-old Cebu City Medical Center (CCMC) along N. Bacalso Ave. has already been finished by the Department of Engineering and Public Works (DEPW).
In an interview with Sun.Star Cebu, CCMC Chief Dr. Gloria Duterte said that the DEPW finished the demolition last week, way ahead of the target.
“Wa na gyu’y building gatindog karon (The whole building has been taken down),” she said.
Duterte said that the CCMC ad hoc committee in charge of building a new city hospital has targeted to finish the demolition of the condemned CCMC building on April 20.
Duterte is also a member of the committee.
At present, the hospital chief said, the DEPW is just hauling the rubble and expects to clear the area completely in the next few weeks.
Once the area will be cleared, Duterte said that based on the timeframe of the ad hoc committee, the realignment of the Panganiban St. to the back of CCMC will follow.
This will pave the way for the integration of the hospital block with that of the Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) and the City Traffic Operations Management (Citom) compound.
Duterte said that Citom will handle the realignment of Panganiban.
Citom Executive Director Atty. Rafael Yap, in a separate interview, said the matter will be undertaken together with DEPW.
Asked how long will it take to realign the street, Yap said it will be “fairly quick” because there is no need for a road right-of-way; the new road will only pass within
the CCMC property.
The City has demolished the three-storey, 300-bed CCMC after the 7.2-magnitude earthquake that hit Cebu and Bohol in October last year damaged it severely.
Hospital operations were temporarily transferred to the BFP compound. It only has 108 beds.
The City will be constructing a new hospital on the same site where the old hospital is. The facility, which will be a 10-storey building and will have more than 400 beds, is expected to cost P1.3 billion.
Museum, Sinulog Hall repairs
Meanwhile, the City Tourism Office has started repairing the Cebu City Museum and the Sinulog Hall located in the Cebu City Public Library. They were also damaged by last year’s earthquake.
Sharon Jakosalem, administrative officer of the Cultural and Historical Affairs Commission (Chac), said the repairs started last month. It is being undertaken by Dakay Construction.
During the earthquake, Jakosalem said, the roof of the Sinulog Hall and the walls of the museum were damaged.
Since October, Jakosalem said the Sinulog Hall has not been used, which means a loss
of P6,000 for every booking the City has had to turn down, such as debuts and weddings.
The City, on the other hand, is not losing revenue with the temporary closure of the museum, since it has no entrance fees.
Jakosalem said, though, that Chac is hoping the museum will be completely repaired by May for the Gabii sa Kabilin or Night of Heritage.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on April 02, 2014.