Budget officer denies pocketing P300,000 cash prize-A A +A
Sunday, March 30, 2014
TALISAY City Budget Officer Edgar Mabunay said Saturday he no longer has the cash prize for the Sinulog sa Kabataan where the Talisay City Elementary School bagged first prize.
“Wa ko’y nakuptan nga kwarta (I don’t have it),” Mabunay said, adding that he is preparing to liquidate the P300,000 cash he got for the props and other expenses in preparation for last January’s Sinulog Grand Parade.
He wanted to clear his name after students wondered when they’d get their share of the prize.
Mabunay said he spent all the amount for the children.
“Di ko gusto madisgrasya ang mga bata, di ko gusto magutman ang mga bata (I made sure they were safe and their stomachs full)
during practice,” he said.
He denied handling last year’s activities or having unliquidated cash advances from 2013.
He also said he didn’t handle the Sinulog subsidy provided by the Cebu City Government.
The contingent from the Talisay City Elementary School participated in the Sinulog festivities twice: the Sinulog sa Kabataan, where it won P400,000 cash, and the grand parade. He said principal Erwin Caparida spent P100,000 of the prize money for the victory party.
He said the P2 million allocated by the Talisay City Government for the expenses for the Sinulog sa Kabataan was used up.
When the school won first prize in the Sinulog sa Kabataan, its contingent had to rehearse again for the grand parade. Mabunay said he asked Caparida if he could use the remaining P300,000 for the preparation.
He said the choreographer asked for additional expenses for props, including repair of broken ones, and food for practice.
They also had to spend on transporting the props and the contingent to Cebu City, he said.
He said the drum and bugle corps and the choreographer had to be paid extra for the new set of practices and the grand parade performance.
Mabunay said he initially used his own money to conduct a study when the mayor decided Talisay City would join the Sinulog sa Kabataan. (OCP)
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on March 30, 2014.