5 Cebu towns pick resettlement areas-A A +A
Monday, March 17, 2014
AT LEAST half of the towns typhoon Yolanda struck hard in northern Cebu have acquired lots for relocation sites, said Capitol Consultant Baltazar Tribunalo Jr.
This is a crucial step to prevent houses from being built within 40 meters of the shore, as ordered by the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) to prevent devastation similar to what Yolanda left when it hit more than four months ago.
Barangay workers in the towns affected by the typhoon were also prioritized in the distribution of incentives, which the Capitol started last week.
The incentives range from P1,500 to P2,400 each and are supposed to reward the barangay workers for their productivity.
Typhoon Yolanda, which killed more than 6,200 persons and displaced four million persons, spared Metro Cebu and the southern towns when it struck last Nov. 8, 2013.
But in the north, the National Housing Authority (NHA) has identified at least 103,000 affected families whose houses were damaged or destroyed. The NHA heads the cluster on social infrastructure.
In a previous workshop, Task Force Paglig-on of the Cebu Provincial Government said that about 31,000 families living within the no-build zone need to be relocated in the 15 towns and one city that were badly hit by the typhoon.
Seven of the affected towns and Bogo City reportedly have relocation sites already.
According to the Provincial Government’s website, the Durano family donated a two-hectare land for San Francisco and Poro towns in Camotes Island.
The municipality of Pilar, also in Camotes, has prepared more than two hectares for the affected families, especially those living within the no-build zone.
Capitol records also say that more than five hectares of land were prepared by Tudela as a resettlement area for families displaced by Yolanda.
Tudela was the first local government unit to identify a relocation site for the residents.
In Sogod, the municipality identified a three-hectare land that will serve as a relocation site for the typhoon survivors.
At least 25 houses were already built in a three-hectare relocation site in the town of Borbon.
Earlier, Bogo City identified four lots that will serve as resettlement areas in Barangays Malingin, Cayang, Polambato and La Paz.
In Madridejos, Mayor Salvador Dela Fuente has said a Gawad Kalinga site in Barangay Tugas will serve as a resettlement area. Madridejos needs to relocate roughly 1,000 families from 11 coastal barangays.
The Province has provided a five-hectare property behind the Cebu Technological University for the town of Daanbantayan.
Tribunalo said the families to be relocated are those living near the shoreline, riverbanks and landslide-prone areas.
Shelter and relocation sites, he added, got the highest share of the P10-billion rehabilitation budget the Capitol is asking from the National Government. The amount has been reduced from P26.8 billion.
The Capitol plans to send the updated damage report to the Presidential Assistant for Rehabilitation and Recovery.
Meanwhile, the Provincial Government started the distribution of incentives to barangay workers in the typhoon-hit areas.
Cebu Gov. Hilario Davide III said that the Capitol allocated at least P43 million for the barangay workers’ cash incentives.
Barangay health workers, nutrition scholars and day care workers will receive P2,400.
Barangay tanods and animal health aides will get P1,500. This productivity incentive for barangay workers have been given every year since the administration of then governor Gwendolyn Garcia, now congresswoman of the third district.
Based on the Capitol’s records, there are 14,713 tanods, 8,050 health workers, 904 nutrition scholars, 1,621 day care workers and 431 animal health aides registered in the entire province.
Last week, Davide and Vice Gov. Agnes Magpale led the distribution of incentives to the barangay workers in the north.
The governor will distribute cash incentives to Medellin and Daanbantayan on Thursday.
Next week, the officials will go to Sogod, Catmon, Madridejos, Bantayan and Sta. Fe, all of which were badly affected by Yolanda.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on March 18, 2014.