Demolition of CCMC building starts-A A +A
Tuesday, February 25, 2014
THE Cebu City Government yesterday began demolishing the 45-year-old Cebu City Medical Center on N. Bacalso Ave.
The city hospital building was declared unsafe for occupancy after the 7.2 magnitude earthquake last Oct. 15.
During the ceremony that marked the start of the demolition of the old hospital, the Cebu Court of First Instance (CFI) Cooperative gave Cebu City Hall P1 million for the construction of a new hospital.
The demolition of the old hospital had to be undertaken by the Department of Engineering and Public Works (DEPW) as the CCMC ad hoc committee has yet to find a private contractor that will do the job free of charge.
DEPW deployed two heavy equipment to the site—one backhoe and one backhoe loader-and started tearing down the entrance of the CCMC building.
DEPW Head Jose Marie Poblete said a private contractor would get the job done faster.
He added that since DEPW does not have the necessary equipment and technical expertise for such undertaking, it would take them more than three months to complete the demolition.
The CCMC ad hoc committee wants to have the demolition completed in three months because it wants to build the new hospital this year.
CCMC chief Dr. Gloria Duterte said they were sad to see the CCMC building demolished. She considered it her home for 33 years.
“It's just so unfortunate that the hospital has been damaged,” she said.
Teresita Figuracion, 62, cried when the backhoe tore down the entrance of the hospital. She has been chief of housekeeping at CCMC for five years.
“Makahilak gyud ko kay gipangga ug gimahal ko man na sauna pa (I can’t help but cry. I loved that hospital),” she said.
Both CCMC officials, however, welcome the building of a new hospital, which would give better service to city residents.
The City Government launched the “Piso Mo, Hospital Ko” campaign to raise funds for the new hospital. Yesterday, City Hall received P1 million from Cebu CFI Cooperative chairperson Esperanza Garcia, a retired judge.
The City has raised more than P11 million so far.
“Thank you to all those who donated. Your peso may just be a peso now but tomorrow it will be a hospital for everybody," Mayor Michael Rama said during the turnover.
Rama said he will meet with the City Council this week to determine how much can be allotted for the hospital project under the first supplemental budget for this year.
If he has his way, Rama said, he would allot P1 billion for the new CCMC. But he said he will listen to the suggestions of the councilors as City Hall has other priority programs and projects.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on February 25, 2014.