Student who wants to move to a private school might get gov’t subsidy-A A +A
Wednesday, February 19, 2014
THE government, in connection with the K12 program, plans to adopt a unified voucher system where students from the public sector who wish to join the private sector will be subsidized up to a certain degree, said Fr. Dionisio Miranda, University of San Carlos president.
Miranda, speaking before the 888 News Forum, was referring to the subsidy, or voucher, of P14,000 in the National Capital Region and P10,000 in the provinces that is being discussed.
“There will be other expenses but if you’re a parent and you’re looking at the education of your children as an investment, then this is an investment which is better than the present system. Why? Because in two years time, your child will graduate from K12 and will already be employable,” Miranda said.
In the current system, Miranda said, the student will have to take the whole four-year program as a package but at the end, he is not sure he will get a job of any kind.
Miranda said that when he was “selling” the K12 in the schools, he saw people, especially in rural areas, respond positively to the notion.
School calendar stays
“It’s the middle class that’s having difficulties trying to sort out their feelings and their expectations because they don’t want their children to be in inter-level jobs and they would like their children to go onward to college,” he said.
However, he said that once the educational landscape changes, they (middle-class parents) will realize that children will be given more autonomy and will assert more autonomy for themselves because it’s going to be their lives that are at stake.
On the prospect of changing the calendar of the opening of classes, Miranda said it needs further study.
He said that in 1964, there was an attempt to change the school calendar. A law was passed, mandating that the opening of the school year must not be earlier than the first week of June and not later than last week of July. As an experiment three years later, this was extended to the last week of August.
Students, though, complained that their classrooms were too hot during summer.
Miranda said the Department of Education has decided not to change the school calendar.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on February 19, 2014.