Bank robbery suspect arrested-A A +A
Monday, January 6, 2014
A SECURITY guard accused of killing three people and robbing a rural bank in Daanbantayan, Cebu was arrested by police in Sagay City, Negros Occidental yesterday afternoon.
Berly Tudtud, 28, was about to leave Sitio Gamboa, Barangay Tadlong when he was cornered by intelligence operatives past 12 p.m.
A hand grenade was recovered from his possession, but the 12-gauge shotgun that he allegedly used in the crime was nowhere to be found.
The operatives of Provincial Intelligence Branch (PIB), led by Senior Insp. Wilson Abot, had been looking for Tudtud since Jan. 1, following the murder-robbery in Daanbantayan, Cebu.
The suspect allegedly killed accounting clerk Jennelyn Migabon, 26; security guard Dean Deserto, 26; and Deserto’s girlfriend Cecilia Torres, 30, on New Year’s Eve. The victims died from gunshot wounds in the head.
Before he fled, some P80,000 cash placed inside a steel cabinet of the First Agro-Industrial Rural Bank, Inc. (Fair Bank) went missing. Authorities believe Tudtud took the money.
Abot, when interviewed by Sun.Star Cebu, said they located the suspect’s whereabouts after they learned Tudtud was born in Sagay City.
Tudtud had also listed the place as one of his addresses in his file at the Ricarte Security Agency Inc, where he worked.
Police went to different areas in Cebu Province where Tudtud could have hidden before going to Negros Occidental.
Through the coordination of Sagay Police Station, Abot said they went to Barangay Magsaysay, where Tudtud was well-known and where his father previously worked as an administrator at a plantation.
But Tudtud wasn’t there.
“He didn’t go to his family but to his old friends,” the police officer said.
The operatives proceeded to Silay City after receiving reports that the suspect was seen there. But before they arrived there, Tudtud had already fled.
The operatives then went to Sitio Gamboa, Barangay Tadlong, a barangay 22 kms. From the national highway.
The suspect was at his friend’s house and was planning to leave when police surprised him.
When interrogated by the police, the suspect denied having a hand in the crime.
“He denied a role in the incident,” Abot said.
The suspect will be brought back to Cebu Province, where a complaint of robbery with multiple homicide awaits him.
Abot said they believed the suspect hid the shotgun in Sagay City because residents have seen him with the gun when he arrived.
Police Regional Office (PRO) 7 Director Danilo Constantino said he will recommend the operatives for solving the crime in less than a week.
“They really focused on the job,” he said.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on January 06, 2014.